Saturday, September 12, 2009

And then it continues...

One of the most taxing parts for me concerning pregnancy is sleep. I have a really hard time with it. Of course I wake up several times to pee, that's really not the problem. The problem is that I overheat. Sometimes I worry that I am feverish. I really should by a thermometer and keep track of it all. Last night, was a night alone, as Jónas took a trip to visit his brother some 5 hours away for the weekend. I did 'sleep' better, meaning I had longer periods of time where I was actually asleep. On a normal morning, I will wake up around 6am, and have troubles snoozing a few more hours. This morning, however, was different. I woke up to pee, like usual, and by the time I was making it back to bed, I was shivering so bad you would think I was outside in the snow. We have a fan that blows every night, this is nothing new, but for some reason I was so overheated that the air from the fan was unbearable to my skin. So I dive under the covers, and shiver for a good 10 minutes before my temperature 'evens' out. But this means that any time I stick an arm or leg out from the blankets, I start to shiver again. But it is too hot to keep myself completely covered. So I turn the fan off, hoping to help solve this problem once and for all, and it does, but only slightly. So frustrating.

The other night, Jónas and I went to TGIFridays in order to get me some of their boneless buffalo wings appetizers. That's all we get, 2 orders of those, and some french fries. The only craving I can really take care of here in Iceland. Well after this delicious meal of spicy spice, we head towards the register to pay for our food. Suddenly I am overwhelmed by a pain in my abdomen. Every time I breathe, or move, it's there. Sharp, and only mainly across the right side of my uterus. I immediately assume it's round ligament pain, since I know the goods are stretching in there. But this pain lasts during the time it takes for Jónas to pay, us to leave, me to use the bathroom at the mall we are in, and for us to get to the car, several minutes. And man, was it bad. So last night I look up round ligament pain online to see what I can come up with. I see it says that it should only last a few seconds, this sharp pain, while mine lasted several minutes. But I had no spotting, and really, after it went away, it hasn't come back. So I decided not to call my midwife and cause concern. I just wonder if other first time mom-to-bes are out there experiencing strange pains they don't want to bother calling their midwife about? I don't want to call her about anything unless I feel it is an emergency. I know it is her job to be here for me, and help me with any questions, but I always have it in my mind that there are those women who are like what you would imagine in a chick flick comedy, annoying and never ending calls about silly things, and the midwife rolls her eyes every time she calls and tells all her midwife friends how silly this preggo lady is. I dread being that type of woman. So yeah. I know I can't be the only one to be like this. I just can't.

My uterus is definitely getting larger. While laying down in bed, my uterus extends very noticeably above where it did before. What a strange way to describe all of this. Well you can see it anyways, while I am laying down. It's of course super firm.

I believe I felt the baby move for the first time last night. I know so many doctors would probably say that it was gas. But you know, it was a very strange fluttering, as though I had a live goldfish in my uterus, on the left side, squiggling around. Something totally new, and not gas. Since this was the first time I had felt this, and Jónas wasn't here, I of course immediately called him and shared the news. I had wondered how and when I would feel this lil baby of mine move, and I was of course hoping it would be sooner rather than later. I realize this is so early, 13 weeks, but apparently it is not unheard of. So I will not be told it was something else!

What a miracle, life is. To be able to grow inside of a being. Truly something to behold.

0 comments:

Post a Comment